Monday, July 24, 2006

THE QUEENSHEAD, ST.AUSTELL (22ND JULY)

RUDI`S MESSAGE

(Reviewed by Jocky Slingback)

Well there I be on a Saturday night wandering round Snozzle looking for a good time, (and that can take some wandering, I can tell e!), when I stumbles across the loud music end of whats left of the town and so I continues my wanderings up the steps into that fine old coaching inn The Queenshead, to find out wozzon. One pint of that new fangled Oirish cider and I see what all the fuss is about - it`s them ska boys, Rudi`s Message giving it some welly.
I loves a bit of ska meself; it reminds me of me youth club days with the Dazzling Darren Disco and rave ups we used to have down on the beach at Gorran where the music sent our young pulses racing as we frollocked in the breakers with the young ladies of the village. So hearing that skanking beat again, brought it all back to me and I must admit, there were the odd tear that might`ve fell in me pint, (Hey there! I spiked me own pint!), but it were tears of joy as the band put on such a great performance.
Rudi`s Message is a top ska band, but not only are they great musicians, (you really couldn`t tell it wasn`t the original artists), but they make an effort to perform, making an evening spent in their company more than just a gig - these chaps entertain and made I just want to bounce up and down.
I`m sorry for spilling me pint of cider on the folks near to me, but the rock steady beat just takes me and I`m away, and I said I`d buy you a drink to make it up to you anyways, and it`s not my fault you didn`t like cider, I does.
Rudi`s Message play a wide selection of the cream of ska stuff from the likes of Madness, The Specials, Bad Manners and all those other sharp dressed chaps from the two-tone world and there`s no let up, once they start it`s non-stop dancing or death!
Anyway, special mention must go to the rarely-seen-in-a-pub, brass `section` of Duncan Disorderly (and his trombone) - what a guy! Mind, don`t stand too close to him when he gets going, I reckon that bit of brass skat me pint right outta me hands that time.
Here`s a good way to tell if a band`s worth seeing; check your feet the morning after, if they hurt - it was a great band and mine were steaming on Sunday. Lovely.
The Queens is putting on some damn fine local bands at the moment, you should get out at the weekends and see the quality of talent that`s on show in there... and if you do, don`t mind me and me cider ok? (...oh and watchout for that last pint.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Jocky Slingback is a drunken eejit and can`t dance to save his life!!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home