Monday, September 17, 2007

GIGS IN SEPTEMBER 2007

THE CUCKOO BAR, TRURO (15TH SEPTEMBER)

LEAD CHERRY, THE SYCAMORES & THEM IS ME

(Review by Adam Puckey)

Rest in Peace dear Cuckoo Bar - Last gig ever, what a rocker!!
Hey!
Gemma and I went to the Cuckoo Bar in Truro last night to watch the last ever gig before it closes down. I'll spare the details, but basically, money has more sway than art in this world, so the pub is shutting.
Making sure we had Gemma's passport on us (despite being 24 years old, she frequently gets ID'd), we bused down from Chacewater, taking stock of our bus compatriots (all the saddos who couldn't get someone to drive, like us), and discussing vehemently the do's and don'ts of personal hygeine, relating chiefly to some of the denizens of threemilestone. Anyway, I wordily digress.
We got into the pub and got ourselves some pints, and wandered over to the (beautiful) sound desk just in time for Lead Cherry's soundcheck. It was amazingly clear and loud. I attempted to conduct a conversation with Liam, the manager, but ended up in the midst of a back-slappingly comical mime session.
Loud guitars make me grin like a fucking Orang-Utan.
I had brought with me four Nino Tires demo cd's. One was for Liam, for future events co-ordination, one was meant to be for the lead singer of 'Them is Me', but he never got because I didn't enjoy the music. More on that later.
I gave Liam a cd, I gave Charismatic barman a cd (His name is Mark), I gave the lead guy from Lead Cherry a cd (Because they are fucking amazing, and Nino will DEFINITELY be gigging with them next year) and, I gave a group of men a cd.
It wasn't just any group of men. It was a group of men who I thought were one of the bands. One of the men had a ponytail, so I naturally assumed it was the ex-lead singer of Reef, who had been led to believe was the new lead singer of 'Them is Me'.
So, in a comedy escapade befitting only fools and horses, I plucked up the courage to go and talk to the group of men and give them the cd.
They weren't the band.
They weren't even A band.
I told them that they looked like a band and could have the cd anyway.
So somewhere in cornwall there is a cheap, copied, eight track cd with my handwriting on it, changing the lives of those men and their families and friends...

So, first band on. Lead Cherry. AMAZING. Absolutely wicked. It was like Led Zep without any of the slow bits. (There was ONE slow bit, but it was comedically and artfully done). I didn't want to get too near them, in case I could not get my head out of their asses to watch the next band.
At one point during the night, I think I insulted their bass player. I am not really sure now cos I was a tiny bit drunk. I certainly didn't insult his bass playing skills, which were top notch (It helped that the speaker stack had bass bins bigger than my front door), and he was wearing an ill fitting 'Wayne's World' baseball cap. We are officially fans of this band. The drummer had a voice that could be heard without a mic too. I always approve of loud voices...

Next band... THE SYCAMORES.
By the time the sycamores started playing, we were at the front, practically ON the stage. To my right was Gemma (my lass) and Jamie from the Ventongimps (he was dressed like a gangster). Most notably, to my right, were couple of fit birds. I looked over one of their shoulders as they were sending a text. I'm so rude. The text read. 'I am in the pub with topless Sycamores!! Mruggghhhh!! Yum!. xx'
That about sums them up. They have good shoes, good skin, good tunes, good dancing skills, TONS of energy, great hair, guitar skills, great drums, great stage presence, great audience interaction, loads of charisma, they all sing and enjoy themselves. Halfway (not even halfway) into the set, covered in sweat and glowing like seraphim from the Cuckoo's yellow stagelight, Jason informed the (buzzing) crowd that they were knackered.
It is worth mentioning that I got up on stage at one point, along with Lead Cherry's guitarist, a harmonica player, someone else, and a random dancing ginger man who was holding a can of beer. That was their last song I think. I hugged their bass player I think too, who was sweating like a beast, but wearing red pants and a waistcoat (I mean pants like underpants).
Also, has anyone else noticed that San's stomach looks like a load of bread rolls. I think lots of the girls must have been hungry, cos they couldn't stop looking at them and licking their lips.
Fucking ace. Musically, sounds like Libertines/ArcticMonkeys kind of stuff, but really really really loads more energetic and playful. Their onstage banter is a mix of self deprecating humour and simply catching breath. Oh and San plays his guitar the wrong way round and upside down, not even re-stringing it like Kurt did. 4 Legends in the making, no doubt. Gemma thinks they will be famous. I am trying to think of ways I can make money out of them....

Last band. 'THEM IS ME'.
Boring, slow, dissapointing. We left and got the bus home. They didn't get a copy of our cd. Seriously. I reckon they'll get a record deal of some kind simply because of their connections, but compared to some of the really bloodily talented unsigned acts around, they just didn't cut it. Shame, cos I 'Consideration' by Reef is one of my favourite songs. Dancefloor was packed though.

So, reflections...
Apart from the night I played there myself, this was the best time I've had at the cuckoo. A fitting end. Such a fucking shame. As I write, my girlfriend's cat is harassing her for some of the pate she is eating. Life has returned to normal. But...
What about saturday nights? Where do I go if I want to watch a band and not listen to shitty dance music?
Where do I rally, and network, and emabarass myself in front of my contemporaries?
Bunters on a thursday is alright, but they have been booking even nine for about six years...
The Cuckoo has died. Liam has some things to do, but SUAVE are coming back with the cuckoo brand and sorting out live nights and whatnot. Fucking good promoter that one. The early stages will be rocky and weird (I sense a few PA's not arriving on time), but it should be akin to a cuckoo-derived-phoenix, soaring through mid-cornwall, setting fire to pubs and hearts.
Gutted, but I can't fucking wait. Adieu...
Ad.
ps. Just been told by Gem that the Sycamores are playing in Bunters on the 27th of September, and Lead Cherry are at Bunters on the twentieth, so it's not all bad.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home